Letters, Random Memories and Assorted Sea Stories (Cont.)

Josh Ricks Comes Aboard ...

Hey man, love the site. I was on the ‘Prise from 1999 until 2004, currently doing a brief stint on the second great gray pig, Nimitz. I was in RM23, RX40, RM22 and RM14 at various times throughout my tour there. I’ll be writing more about the crazy times I had on the Pig when I get my shit together. Take it easy!

Josh Ricks

“J-Mutha-Fuckin’-Ricks” or Jack Ash in the Dope


Matt Parli Gets new Email Addy:

would you please change my email to




James Shostak Comes Aboard ....

James Shostak, USS Enterprise, Navy Nuke ET

1983 - 1987

RC-11 (1 Plant )

Photo is John Barnes, Jud Woodings and me taken in Perth Australia


KP Note: Hey James I remember you!

Marshall Bell Comes Aboard ....

Could you add my name to list. Marshall Bell, M-Div 2 Plant 1974-1978


KP Note: Hey Marshall! I remember you from our first reunion! It's about time you got your email to me;)

Not The Reagan?

Well, I was mistaken... I checked with the Navy League down in Santa Barbara, and evidently the Abe Lincoln has been there in the past...

TG RE 1975-79


The Boys ...


A photo sent to me by Jim Hughes (a Maryland boy). Don't recall where or when just know it was 1974-1978. These guys I still consider my brothers and to this day I would crack your skull just cuz they asked me to ( a "Good Will Hunting" reference.) Judging by the faces we were in a skull cracking mood that day too, so you know we must have been leaving port. Geno has his camera so I'm guessing it was Tasmania. Note the southern boys wearing work jackets.

I'm still bunking here at work, Waterford 3, while Katrina mop up continues. 100 of 650 Waterford 3 employees homeless, looters being shot in the street. Paul Burke hurricane story to follow.


L to R - Doug Ortego (Opelousas, Louisiana,) Jim Batten (West Allis, WI), Gene Kurtz (Nashville, TN), Steve Shupe (NY).



Got an email at home from Paul Burke. Seems he was in New Orleans at the Fairmont Hotel when Katrina hit. He was with his son who was registering at Tulane U. On Tuesday, as Paul put it, he "had a window to leave." He says he asked a cop if he should leave. Cop says, "You got a gun?" Paul and his son left, driving down Canal Street as the levee broke passing by looters and general mayhem.

Burke, please check in to this site and finish the story!!!!!!!!


J. Mejia Comes Aboard ...

Please add my name to the list of folks that served onboard the Big-E.

J. Andres Mejia RM23, 1989-1993 RM3, 1993-1995 email address:



Shout Out to The Sleestak ...

Hey gotta give a big welcome aboard to Jimmy "Sleestak" Shostak. One of the true nice guys of RC11 in the mid 80's. I remember many a time hanging out with Jimmy in the number one reactor control equipment room. Hope to hear more from you Jimmy, we got a pretty good representation these days from RC11!! Love the picture of Jud with the outback hat. Whatever happened to John Barnes??

Louie Wingo


D' Executive Memories ....


On our first cruise, during our transit to the P.I. we new knublings listened very intently to the R.T instructors as they gave us advice about Olongapo. One of the things they told us was to avoid the massage parlors as they were the only places in Po Town where you COULDN'T get laid. Sounded like sound advice to us so we stayed away in droves.

Once the first inport period was over and we found ourselves back out in the South China Sea, we all got together and compared notes. A dude named Porter had visited a massage parlor and was giving it rave reviews. Several of us figured WTF and decided to accompany Porter to D' Executive Massage Parlor our next time in port. If you went out the Main Gate, crossed the river and took the first right (think it was Gordon St.) the massage parlor was about one block down. When you got to the reception desk on the second floor you met all the masseuses and picked one out. (Or she picked you.) I ended up with a cute, short haired young gal named Boots.

Here's a typical visit : Boots would meet me at the top of the stairs, and lead me by the hand to a cubical. There, she would undress me and wrap a towel around my waist. (My clothes were then handed to a young boy or girl would wash my clothes while I was getting my massage.) Next I would be led by the hand to the shower. Boots would remove my towel, lather me up and give me a very thorough shower. No shit, I didn't have to lift a finger, all I had to do was stand there as she lathered me up and scrubbed me down. Once the shower was complete she would lead me to the sauna where my buds were usually already waiting. We'd usually play cards for a while and periodically the girls would bring chunks of ice and rub us down. It was always nice to have a couple of ice cold San Miguels in there. It always amazed us that we sweated our asses in the engine rooms at sea and then when we were in port we went to a sauna. When we were done with the sauna, the gals would lead us all back to the showers and rinse us off. Then it was on to the cubicles for the massage.

I don't know how many of you ever got a professional type massage, but it's pretty cool. Boots was fairly well experienced and gave a very thorough and relaxing massage which took about an hour and a half. She did all the stuff you think goes with a massage and even walked on my back, cracked my fingers and toes and massaged my temples and scalp. Man I was one relaxed dude when she was done.

So far the total bill for this treatment was P20 plus P1.5 for each San Miguel consumed in the sauna. ( At the normal rate of exchange P20 = $2.71.) Our RT instructors were wrong. You COULD get sex at the massage parlor for a slight gratuity. But in a town where you could get sex pretty much everywhere, why go to a massage parlor to do so? I don't buy my tires at Wal-Mart, I buy them at Big O. Same applies to massage parlors. (Well OK, maybe I did buy tires at Wal-Mart on several occasions.)

Once the massage treatment was complete, you were asked, "You want sensation". This was a hand job, but you could request more if you so desired. When it all was over you were usually so relaxed that you asked your masseuse to let you sleep for an hour. MAN you woke up feeling refreshed! Boots would then lead me down for another shower. Then it was back to the cubical where my freshly washed clothes would be laid out. She would dress me, comb my hair give me a kiss then send me out for a night of steaming.

On our last night on Olongapo on the 74 cruise the girls threw a party for us regulars on the roof of the building. They brought up a little hibachi and of course plenty of S.M. It was a real pain in the ass to leave the roof to take a leak, so we would wander over to the back of the roof and piss down into the alley way below. Here we were about 25 feet off the ground, with no railing or anything, drunkenly standing at the edge of the roof! Ah, to be young and invincible again. The girls had all crocheted shirts for us as going away gifts. Really nice. I really miss that place.

To Boots, Thelma, Daisy, "Mama-san" and the rest of the girls at D' Executive : I hope life's journey since that time has treated you well. God knows you deserve it.



KP Note: As many of you latter 80s tars remember, HME (or "BD," as we called him) was the Peso King.  While in PI, he lived like royalty.  I know I've written much about his PI adventures but I'll add another here as PP's story sparked a memory.  I recall accompanying the Peso King to SCity once, to steam, more-or-less, but we wound up just relaxing at the spa at the White Rock Hotel.  There I got the best massage I ever got in my life.  In fact, I made it a point to go there any chance I got in later visits. I would much rather get a legitimate massage than one that was a "front" for something else.   

Ted Akers Comes Aboard ...

Ted Akers RM22 and RM23 1992-1997



Re: The Boy's Photo

Thanks Doug Ortego for the great sea-going photo of you, Battin, Kurtz and Shupe! It is super... like old home week. I hope they visit the site and see... they will be thrilled.

Thanks again,

Shipmate and fellow 3 Plant Puke,


Jules J. LaMontagne USS Enterprise ET1, 74-76


Rich Wallen Gets new Email Addy:

This is Rich Wallen, (90-96) with an email change. New email addy is




On the bottom of page 40 is a picture of 3 former Big E nukes. They are from l-r Tom Wotherspoon of RM-14, Jim Schibetta (arrgh!!!!) from RC-14 and Rick Newman (Chester) from EM-23. We met in Fredonia, NY for a couple of hours while Jim was here for his parents 50th wedding anniversary. We talked about old times including the unbelievable time that a new nub (wotherspoon) had the gall to received his 1st RC checkout with Arrgh!!!! down in 1 plant. I believe Jim was on the big E from 1980 - 1984, Tom from 1982 - 1986 and me from 1984 - 1988.

Rick Newman Chester  


KP Note: Tom, Jim and Rick called me that day so that I could be part of the mini-reunion, too.  That was nice.  Don't forget about next April's BIG reunion in SF Bay Area!!! I expect to see everyone.

Brenden Heidrich Comes Aboard ...

Thanks for keeping this database for all of us.

RC11 1990-1994

Thanks again,

Brenden Heidrich


Joe Vargas Comes Aboard ...

Hey there! Another RE from the '90's. I've just barely begun to scratch the surface of the stories here and have been laughing non-stop! 75 people in RE Div????? At one point (~1997 I think) we had 16. That makes for many a heavily loaded duty day. Anyway, I have a few stories to share as well and will do so soon.

Joe Vargas, aka Smokin' Joe (not to be confused with Smoking Joe…. Who is that anyway???)


Assistance Req'd


I'm currently working on a 1/7 scale of the Big-E and I'm looking for pictures of the CVN-65, specifically views of the island. I'm looking for detailed shots, close-ups. If you know anyone who could have such documents, please put me in touch.

Many thanks


KP Note: Sounds like a great model. Please send a photo when you're finished.  Can someone currently serving on the Big E contact Samuel and take pictures of specific areas of the island for him? The only thing I remember about the island were those big letters that said "Watch for rotating props and jet engines" (or something like that).   


Do you serve on the USS Reagan? If so, keep your eyes open for a special VIP visit the week of October 10.  Yes, siree, the one and only "KP" will be taking a tour of the mighty RR with his Boy Scout son and troop.  I don't have the exact date and time but would love to meet any nukes aboard.  My son and his troop are doing a special weeklong sea scout thing on NAS NI.  When I heard about the trip I gladly signed on as a chaperone as I was very fond of NAS NI.  Maybe that "Suds and Duds" place is still there and I can do a load of laundry while guzzling machine-dispensed beer like I used to in the old days (while the other Boy Scout dads look on in horror).  



Phil Siebigteroth Comes Aboard ...


I served in RC-14 from 1993-1997. Please include my on your Big E contacts page.


LT Phil Siebigteroth, Pharm.D.


Pharmacy Department Head


KP Note: Hey Phil, you ain't getting off that easy ... how about a few "Gitmo" Stories for some of us old-timers!


First Day in Hobart

Just finished a book by Bill Bryson titled "In a Sunburned Country". A very informative and funny read about traveling in Australia. Brought back some memories from the Big E days.

We arrived in Hobart, Tasmania in I believe Feb 1977. Our previous port had been Subic and you could tell instantly that this was a much different climate. I'm not sure how many days at sea qualifies you for a "beer day" but I guess we were only about a day or so short. The ship anchored out in the harbor and we took either liberty boats or local ferries in to shore. Hobart had named all their ferries after famous Australian highway men and the ferry we took was the "Ned Kelly". To our surprise, the ferry had a bar on board! The rule was that they would only serve you 2 beers at a time, so all the squids ordered 2 beers apiece, returned to the back of the line and drank them down while waiting for another round. We had been at sea for a long time and the Australian beer was more powerful than our usual fare so we were not feeling much pain when we finally stepped onto dry land.

We spent much of the day sightseeing on foot. The Aussies we ran into were all extremely and genuinely friendly. "Where ya goin' mate? Give ya a lift?" I had lived in Germany for 4 years and the look and feel of Hobart reminded me very much of a town called Aschaffenburg. Almost all the Aussies that we talked to seemed very proud of their new casino. We finally decided we had to check it out ourselves. It was nice, but a little high class for us "Olongapo Commandos". None of us were big gamblers so after a while we gravitated to the bar. The locals were big on this sort of apple cider and naturally the Aussies coaxed us into trying "a pint". That pretty much ended any ideas of accomplishing anything useful that day.

We ended up in a downtown pub called the "Old Hobart". I had duty the next day and sometime before midnight I decided to head back to the ship. After I walked a couple of blocks in the cool night air I suddenly discovered that I was tired. I must have had a full day because I was VERY tired! I was so tired that I couldn't even walk in a straight line and had completely lost my bearings. If someone had asked where I was, I think the closest I could have described my location would have been, "Australia". I sat down in a doorway to think this over. Next thing I know there's some Aussie shaking me and asking "Ya alright mate?" I lied and said "Yeah." I guess my accent gave me away and he asked if I was off "that big ship". I nodded. He asked where I was headed. I pointed in the direction I had been traveling and told him, "That big ship." trying unsuccessfully to mimic his Aussie accent. He laughed and said "You're heading the wrong direction mate! The ship's that way." All I could think to say was, "Oh lovely." He laughed, then helped me to my feet saying, "Mate, what you need is a good beer. That'll set ya right as rain." (Yeah. More alcohol. That'll improve the situation.) "Oh lovely" I managed again. You just have to admire the Aussie mindset. Here I was tired and lost in a strange country and the first remedy Crocodile Dundee here comes up with is another beer. I guess I must have figured, "What the f**k. When in Australia…."

My next conscience memory was being woke up on the ship the next morning and heading down to stand feed pump watch in 2 MMR. (My head hurt.)



Jayson Wisniewski Comes Aboard ...

My stuff for the list:

Jayson Wisniewski RM22 1998-2004, RX40 2004-2005


More Hobart ...

Joe Vierra and I went ashore in Hobart and stopped by the bulletin board on the pier where folks who wanted to host US sailors had posted. We called Mr. Oliver Knight who turned out to be a retired car dealership owner. He had been in the Aussie merchant marine in WW2 and was a very gracious and generous man. Joe and I stayed out in the country with them. Observations:

They still are grateful we “won the war for them.”

Tasmania in 1970’s was like America in the 50’s

They thought we were pussies because only one squid got in a fight.

Tasmanian girls all had rosy complexions and big tits (They held a big dance for Aussie girls and Enterprise men only. That went over well)

Aussie men treat women like possessions. (When its 2.5 women per man, you can get away with that)

Mr. Knight’s daughter, and all other single Tasmanian women, wanted to marry an American badly. When she learned Joe and I were already married she went out and got another guy. This dumb bastard was some E1 who worked in the barbershop. She took him up to their vacation house in the mountains and f--ked him silly for two days.

Enterprise had a rugby team with lots of Nukes on the team. The local club whipped our ass but inside the locker room, yes they had their own club field and club house, there was an ice cold mug of cider waiting for us in front of each locker. VERY civilized. The party in the clubhouse afterwards was a coat and tie affair so we felt grubby but they were very gracious. I bought a pair of Puma rugby shoes ( which has ¾” aluminum cleats!) while there and also one of the club ties. It has blue and green diagonal stripes with tiny red lions and the initials TRU, which stands for Tasmania Rugby Union. (Thanks for the loan of $20 Joe, wherever you are!)

Being in a “white” country sure made me homesick

We opened up the ship to visitors. I think everyone in Tasmania must have come aboard. (Except the anti-nuke college professor who was in a hunger strike on top of a mountain until we left.)

Kyle Barber went Kangaroo hunting with the family that adopted him over there. They shoot them like rats as they are varmints. They don’t have the big ones, more like wallabies. I think Gary Steinke went hunting with them also.

Mr. Knight used a big German short haired pointer to hunt the ‘roos. He said the dog could keep up with them in the open but not once they got in the woods.

The weather was cool and foggy but there were wild parrots in the woods. Strange to see.

Black swans in the river.

Driving on the left is VERY F’ed up.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of Joe Vierra please post that info or let me know directly. My contact info in listed on this site.



Do Your Part!


I'm in the process of putting together a list of former Reactor Officers (for historical data) that have been assigned to the USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65).

Sorry for the "bc" e-mail, there are some others receiving this e-mail as well as yourself, but, I was wanting to make sure that the list of names didn't end up on a SPAM list. I was trying each e-mail addy I found individually, however, 75% were invalid addresses and I'm in a crunch mode from the Ship's Secretary to get this finished.

Sorry to disappoint any of you here, but there's nothing here with intentions other than to (for the CO - Capt L. Rice) compile a listing of all ENTERPRISE Reactor Officers from first to current. This list is not being compiled for either commercial purposes or SPAM or for anything 'legal' or even 'illegally' related.

I would greatly appreciate any & all information you could provide as to names and years served.

V/R YN1(SS) J. Miller, Reactor Admin LPO USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65)

ph: 757-534-1333

So far I have the following. Please feel free to correct any mistakes you see and add names, initials where missing.

Contact data for any of them (aside from current ones) would be an added 'bonus' and appreciated, but it's not something I've been tasked to gather.

Please reply with ENTERPRISE REACTOR OFFICERS in the subject line and again, thank you for your time.

Commissioned 25 November 1961

1961 Commander John A. Smith - First RO of CVN65
1962 Commander John A. Smith
1963 Commander John A. Smith
1964 Commander John A. Smith
1965 Captain John A. Smith
1974 CDR D.S. Reed
1975 CDR D.S. Reed
1976 CDR R. W. Sherer
1977 CDR R. W. Sherer
1978 CDR R. W. Sherer
1982 Gun Boat Joe ???
1986 Commander Sevald ??? Skelitor ??
1987 Commander McClure
1988 Commander McClure
1989 Captain Bersticker (Reported December '88)
1990 Captain Bersticker
1991 Captain Morin
1992 Captain Morin
1993 Captain Morin
1994 Captain Timothy J. Dull
1995 Captain Timothy J. Dull
1996 Captain Timothy J. Dull
1997 Captain Frederick ??(Sp)
1998 Captain Frederick ??(Sp)
1999 Captain Carr
2000 Captain Carr
2001 Captain Matthew M. Sharpe
2002 Captain Matthew M. Sharpe
2003 Captain Matthew M. Sharpe
2004 Captain Joseph D. Creed



Well, homies... I'll be away from the desk for about a week so The KP Site will languish a tad bit.  No need to hold your email, as I'm sure Mrs. KP will save it (unless she knows you and disapproves of your association with me) and I'll post it when I get back.  If you're on NAS North Island next week look for me.  I'll be that long-haired shaggy looking dude with all the Boy Scouts.




I love browsing through your site. Every time I read it I feel like getting a haircut and asking for “permission to leave the brow”. I am living in Alameda now days and would love to send you some pictures of the old NAS. It is now open to the public. Are there any old locales that you would like to see in photographs, Marina Grill, Shore Power Connections, The parking lot?? I have a digital camera of course. 

I still remember a little shopping adventure Sauls and me took in Mombassa. On the way back to the boat some Africans tried to run us over. We bailed into a shit filled trench narrowly missing getting clipped. The Africans drove off laughing.

Bill Hilow, EE-11, EE-20


KP Note: Still in Alameda? I guess you can take the man out of the navy but not the navy out of the man;) How about some pix of Webster Street? Hopefully, we can have our 2006 reunion in Alameda (as planned) so we can see all these 'old haunts' in person.

Larry Zurbrick Comes Aboard ....

I've been in touch with Steve "Willy" Wilson and he informed me of your web site and that I should get in touch. Well I served on the Big "E" from 1975 to 1978. I worked in both 1 & 2 AMR.


the former MM3 Larry Zurbrick


Re: Enterprise Reactor Officers....

Proof that the guys on the ship are tuned to your website!!!

I love how Sevald and "Skelitor" get credit for 1986!!!

Louie Wingo


KP Note: I'm just amazed that there was no log book for the ROs to keep (e.g., "turning over the job ... 3 plant all fucked up...2 plant full of homos .... one plant broke-dick .... 4 plant FUBAR ... yada yada yada....").  Hopefully, once YN1 Miller completes the list he'll send us a copy and then we can add a few choice items to describe each guy.  

David Rainwater Comes Aboard ...

David Rainwater

RM14 2000-2005



Hey, I’m going to be in San Diego next week, we should round up the little eagle scouts and take them to earn the most honored merit badge at Pacers!!! The stripper merit badge requiring you to insert a dollar bill in a G-string with your teeth!! And no practicing on the den mother!



RE: "Gun Boat Joe"

I believe his last name was “Gorman”. Hey, it was over 20 years ago.



More RO Stuff:

Hey KP,

For the poor soul looking for Reactor Officers’ names – from 1969 to 1975, Commander George W. Davis was the RO – he left to become Captain of the USS Virginia in 1973. He later became Vice Admiral in the Adjutant General’s Office and was embroiled in the “TailGate” Party scandal.

Drugman75 –


Rob Perrone Gets new Email Addy:

Hello, Could you please update my email address to . Great site!!!

Thank you, Rob Perrone

RM11 & RM14, 1991 - 1995


Seems Like Old Times .... (or for the '83 Pac guys, "Been There, Done That, but didn't SCRAM.")

From PP (Source Navy Times):

Silt stalls Enterprise

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The aircraft carrier Enterprise went dead in the water Oct. 9 when it sucked silt into its cooling system while leaving a Newport News, Va., shipyard to begin post-maintenance sea trials, a spokesman confirmed. Tugboats subsequently guided the carrier down the James River and across the Hampton Roads waterway over to Norfolk Naval Station, where officials are assessing the huge flattop's condition. The amount of silt, damage caused and the persons responsible - if any - have yet to be determined, said Mike Maus, spokesman for the Atlantic Fleet Naval Air Force.

Enterprise had just completed a 13-month maintenance availability at Northrop Grumman Newport News, where it was built and launched 45 years ago. Tugboats were turning the carrier to point downriver and head out to sea when the ship ingested silt into the sea water steam plant cooling system, Maus said. The fouling automatically shut down the ship's operating reactors and the ship went into a backup power mode for key systems, as it is designed to do.

The ship did not strike the river bottom, Maus said, adding that the investigation aims to determine exactly what happened.

With sea trials delayed, Maus said it remains to be seen how the silt ingestion will affect the ship's operational schedule. Enterprise was already late out of the yard due to emergent repair work, spokeswoman Jerri Fuller Dickseski said.

The ship remains moored at the naval station's pier 12.


Jim Wood Returns ....

It's been a long time since I visited the RX site, and since then my e-mail address has changed. I'm listed under the '70s as Jim Wood E-Div 1977-1979. My new e-mail address is I'd appreciate it if you could update it.


Jim Wood


I'm Back

Well, the mighty KP has returned from San Diego and will resume his duties as website operator.  I'll fill you in on my trip tomorrow.  



Walt Matthews Sends Pics From Early 80s ....

Got motivated this evening and scanned a bunch of photos I had when I was on the Big 'E'. Hope it makes it. 

- Walt Matthews, RM-14 1983-1984,


Greetings from an Ex-Bubblehead Nuke ....


Greetings, Mike Noland turned me on to your Big-E Rx Dept. site two years ago when we met at a National Guard logistics school at Grissom AFB. Unfortunately, this was about the time that I started working on my PhD in Physics at Purdue University, of which the classroom and qualifying exam phase made NPS (class 9604) seem easy. So your site remained all but forgotten until I was cleaning out old email folders this week at work.

I have no tales of debauchery to top any of you Big E guys. Your tales really made me regret vol'ing subs for ELT School, but I do have this tale that may amuse you...

I was a nub aboard the USS Bremerton (SSN 698) during the '97-'98 WESTPAC. Toward the end of the WESTPAC the powers that be decided that we had done a good job, and rewarded us with a 5 day liberty port. In true Navy style, It at first was supposed to be Hong Kong, but the Commies and just taken over there and didn't want an American sub in their new port. So then it changed to Perth Australia, and we were all psyched because the Aussie girls were all hot and they practically paid you to sleep with them. Well Perth didn't have facilities to deal with a nuke ship so then it got changed to New Caledonia (you old salts may remember this island from McHale’s Navy). Well they found out we were a nuke sub and freaked out too. By this time we had been steaming around in a giant circle for 2 weeks and were overdue on our liberty port. Finally, Fiji said they would take us.

We found out that they did not have proper shore power for our boat, so it turned into a steaming port, which of course killed the 5 day liberty for the nukes. The Khaki's solution was to divide Eng Div into 4 duty sections and send two sections to shore for 2 and a half days while the remaining sections stood port and starboard watches. I was in section 1 and got to go to shore first.

We were the first US Navy ship top visit Fiji in about 5 years, and the first nuclear powered ship ever. It was really weird when we came in, because sitting on the mess deck they had the periscope hooked up to the TV and on shore everyone and their brother was wave signs at us greeting us. They were excited to see us. If you wore a command ball cap they treated you like a celebrity.

Nothing sea story worthy really happened while I was on the beach besides a nice relaxing 2 day break spent at a 3 star resort that cost about 20 USD a night. One the third day coming back on the boat I didn't have watch right away, so a bunch of us were watching a movie on the mess deck. About half way through the movie, "Repel boarders, Repel boarders, this is not a drill" came over the 1MC. We all looked at one another dumbfounded for a sec figuring it was a joke, but then the general alarm went off, and all hell broke loose. We thought we were being attacked by terrorists. The TMs started handing out 9 mils and shotguns, some people had M16s and most were in their civvies still having just come off liberty. Let me tell you, a sunburned bubblehead in a Hawaiian shirt and an M16 is not a scary sight. A few guys and me rolled out a fire hose and were at the bottom of the escape hatch hoping to spray the terrorists with 150 psi seawater to keep them from getting in the boat.

We waited with baited breathe for what seemed like forever. Then the topside watch calls down, "Its fucking girls from Greenpeace, they're waving signs." Our terrorists turned out to be 3 college girls in bikinis with sign that said "No Nukes in the Pacific." They ran off when the biggest meanest MM1 (SS) on our boat went top side to take pictures and yell at them.

For interested parties, here is Greenpeace's side of the story...


-Nate Cooper


Observations By KP:

Howdy gents,

As I mentioned last week I spent a few days in San Diego at the Naval Station with my son and his gang of Boy Scouts.  We stayed in the BEQ and got to go on many tours.  We went aboard the Thatch (a frigate); toured a helicopter squadron, got to  drive an LCAC simulator, toured the harbor on a WWII landing craft, saw BUDS training and did a few other fun things. I had a great time and (I'm afraid to admit) longed for those days of yore.  Today's navy was a bit different from "our" navy and I made a few mental notes to share with the many old salts reading this website:

Ball Caps:  Now days, everyone wears a ball cap, even the shore guys.  These hats have whatever command school or activity the person is assigned to or simply say "Navy."  In our day the ball cap was largely a fleet sailor thing and only sailors serving on ships could wear them.

Dungarees: No more denim dungaree pants! All the sailors I saw wore those navy blue 'fade-proof' cotton pants resembling Dickies.  Remember the pride you had in your old faded dungarees? Also, all the sailors I saw had crow patches and name tag patches.  I guess they don't use stencils or have iron on crows anymore. In our day only old salts had name and crow patches because you could only get them made in the PI.   

Boondockers: Those trusty old boondockers are gone. It looks like you can wear any black boot you want these days. 

Women: There were sailor gals everywhere! Most (or a large number) seemed to be wearing "maternity" dungarees.  I'm not sure what that was about.  In the BEQ where we stayed many of the occupants were female and most were pretty attractive (unlike the gals most of you remember living in Snipe's Castle at GLakes).  

Ribbons: Remember how in our day navy ribbons were hard to get? It seems like everyone has a chest full of ribbons today.  I was unfamiliar with many of the new ones since they were introduced after I got out in 1990.  Many are War on Terrorism related.  They also give ribbons for things like recruiter duty and such.  Heck, you automatically get a Nat Def Medal when you finish bootcamp.  I didn't see one Vietnam campaign ribbon; the "old salts" today wear Kuwait Liberation and Desert Storm ribbons.

Food: Man, the food in the chow hall sucked.  Maybe my tastes are too refined now.  I lost weight on the trip since I could hardly finish a meal.

Tattoos: In our day (with the exception of MDiv's 'illustrated moron') sailors stuck to traditional tattoos. Today, many sailors resemble the felons you see on that TV show Miami Ink. I saw dozens of sailors covered from head to toe with full-body art.  Someone told me the navy is cracking down on this practice and discharging anyone with a large percentage of their body tattooed.

Bottom Blow Out: I heard from many that the navy is now totally over manned and actively getting rid of people, especially officers.  In our day there were 600 ships; today there are not even half that.  Navy nukes are also a rare item these days since there are so few nuclear ships in the fleet (gone are many of the subs and cruisers we knew).  The new carriers don't require nearly as many nukes as the Big E does.  

Anyway, those are my observations.  I hope they don't offend anyone.



(One for the Airdales who secretly read this site) 

Passing into Glory ...

Forwarded to KP Site by Steve Wilson:

Like Cecil Field in the '90's, Nobody wanted it gone, but it is.

They're coming one after the other now. Each day seems to bring another heartache - articles in professional journals, invitations for "the last of" events, order forms for coffee table books. I'm beginning to realize that there's no putting off the fact that one of the most revolutionary, capable, and elegant airplanes ever to dominate the skies is going away.

I refer, of course, to the F-14 Tomcat. Over the next number of months the grand old boy will take his leave. With the F-14 goes the notion of swing wings, variable geometry intakes, radar intercept officers, and 1.8 indicated Mach number on the airspeed gauge. And with the F-14 also goes a big part of what made my life noteworthy, dare I say, the stuff of novels.

The Tomcat had an amazing run: thirty-plus years, three wars, dozens of brushfires and contingencies, and one popular - albeit hokey as pozz - movie called "Top Gun." Few airplanes in the history of aviation have adapted as well to the tactical landscape over their years in the inventory. The F-14 was designed around the AWG-9/Phoenix missile system, a long-range air superiority fighter that pushed out the boundaries of fleet defense. The early portion of my flying career was about launching on the Alert 5 and escorting Soviet bombers and transports. Those were the days of the 1+45 cycle, the days when the Tomcat was the fuel critical jet in the air wing. The thought of dropping bombs was anathema to us then.

But the threat changed as the post-Cold War defense budgets shrunk, and the F-14 morphed into an attack platform. A few years after that the LANTIRN pod was strapped onto a wing station and strike planning doors that had once been shut to the Tomcat community came flying open. Suddenly the Tomcat, with its two-man crew and newly received high-resolution displays, was the platform of choice for culturally sensitive or hard-to-find targets. System by system (including the flight controls), an analog airplane turned digital.

And none too soon. Precision bomb delivery along with the refinement of the photo reconnaissance mission and the addition of roles such as FAC(A) came just in time to serve in the wake of 9-11. Six-hour missions to Masir-e-Sharif? No problem. Same goes for the way the airplane was employed during the opening months of the Iraqi War. A flexible, capable platform combined with resourceful aviators is a great pairing in the face of a dynamic battlefield. Ironically, perhaps, as the Tomcat got older, it got better. In sum, it's safe to say that the American taxpayer was well served by this asset.

But now the F-14's time is nearly over. Emotions stir in the face of this reality. Thousands of hours of my adult life were spent strapped into the back seat of the "Big Fighter." It was there that challenges were met, friendships were forged, and the nation's will was carried out. From that lofty perch I looked up at the heavens and down on hostile lands. I didn't always realize it then - youth, of course, is lost on the young - but each sortie was a gift.

So, too, was the time spent in the company of greats. I think back on chain-laden plane captains who loved the airplanes as much as we did, those who kept the aviators going with their enthusiasm in the face of long days that promised nothing but more hard work. I remember the maintenance master chiefs who taught me not just how the Tomcat works but how to be an officer and a man. And for their caring they asked for nothing in return. In their countenances I saw my responsibilities.

Anyone familiar with my Punk series of books knows that the years I spent riding in the back gave me a de facto doctorate in pilot personality types. Any RIO with 1,000 hours or more in the airplane possesses a similar degree. And as I flip through the pages of my weathered logbooks and read the names - Orr, West, Davison, Owens, Daill, Alwine, and hundreds more - I think of their skill, skill that boggles the mind even now, and the teamwork between cockpits that made flying the F-14 rewarding. I know few things as surely as I know that U.S. Navy carrier-based pilots are the best in the world.

And what of the down times between sorties? In my mind's eye I conjure up a gathering in the eight-man stateroom where problems are broached, dissected, and solved. This is where I learned about trust. This is where I realized I could survive the trial that was life at sea - hell, life period.

Now I close my eyes and hear the clack, clack, clack of the shuttle as it moves aft for the next launch. The exhaust from the powerful and reliable F-110 engines fills my nostrils until we drop the canopy and bring our jet to life. Air roars through the ECS. Systems power up. Soon we're parked behind the cat, waiting our turn. I roger the weight board - 68,000 pounds, buddy, 68,000 pounds. Grasp that, if you can. The jet blast deflector comes down and we taxi into place, my pilot deftly splitting the cat track with the twin nose tires. And then - even after decades of doing the same thing - the adrenaline starts to flow as we go through the deck dance unique to the Tomcat: The nose strut compresses, giving the fighter the look of a rail dragster; the launch bar comes down. Wings spread. Flaps lower. Outboard spoiler module circuit breaker goes in (a RIO gotcha). Our hands go up as the ordies arm the missiles, bombs, and gun.

There's the signal from the catapult officer. My pilot puts the throttles to military power and wipes out the controls - stick forward, aft, left, and right; rudder left and right. "You ready, Mooch?" he asks. I run the fingers of my right hand across the top of the lower ejection handle (for orientation purposes) and answer, "Ready." He salutes. We both lean forward slightly. (No self-respecting Tomcat crew would take a cat shot with their heads against the headrest, not to mention that would be a good way to get your bell rung because of the way the airplane surges down before it starts moving forward.) A couple of potatoes later we're off. Airborne.

And for the next hours we stand ready to bring this machine, this manifestation of American know-how, to bear however it might be required. Or maybe today isn't our day to save the world, so we accommodate one of the small boy's requests for a fly-by or break the sound barrier just because we can (and we're far enough above our fuel ladder to get away with it).

We're flying a Tomcat. And we're getting paid to do it.

Alas, I speak of days gone by. What remains of what once gave my working life purpose will soon only be found in front of main gates, aviation museums, and VFW halls around the country. In the blink of an eye I have become the guy with the ill-fitting ball cap and the weathered flight jacket who bores young ensigns (and anyone else who happens to make eye contact) with his tales of derring-do. "VF, dang it!" I rail. "Those were real fighter squadrons." And they were. Jolly Rogers, Swordsmen, Pukin' Dogs, Grim Reapers, Diamondbacks - mascots of an adventure. At the center of it all was the airplane itself, and when an airplane has so much heart, personality, and character it ceases to be inanimate to those who climb into it on a regular basis.

So it's goodbye, dear friend. Forgive my depression. I've heard the promises of a brighter future, but my time in the arena was with you. I watch you zorch into the sunset and wonder how it all could have passed so quickly. It doesn't seem like that long ago when we were together, inextricably linked, one defining the other. Ours was a world of unlimited possibilities and missions accomplished. Ours was a world of victory.

So goodbye, Big Fighter, blessed protector of the American way and our hides. We who knew you well will miss your class, your swagger, your raw power. Even in the face of technological advances you bowed to no other. Thanks for the memories. They are indeed the stuff of novels


Edward White Comes Aboard ...

My name is Edward White. Belonged to RM-22 From 1998-2003. E-mail is


Bellbottom Blues

KP When I joined the Navy in 1972, one of the reasons I picked the Navy over the other branches of service was the uniform. I just thought that the Navy's uniform was unique and that gals would readily spread their legs for someone dressed like that. I actually felt proud when I wore my dress whites or blues with the Dixie cup hat. I kind of felt like I was Steve McQueen in "The Sand Pebbles".

Sometime in like '76 or so, the Navy in it's infinite wisdom decides to change the uniform. The new uniform SUCKED!! It reminded us of bus drivers or ice cream vendors. To make matters worse, we were supposed to buy the new style uniforms ourselves. Most of us who considered ourselves short (i.e. had < 3 years left) said, "F**k that!!" No way were we going to waste good steaming money on a uniform that we hated and were only going to wear for a few inspections.

Shortly before the '78 cruise they held a dress uniform inspection while out at sea. Whenever they held an inspection at sea they had to do it in the hanger bay and due to our watch rotation, we had one inspection in the morning and one in the afternoon so as to catch those who were on watch in the morning. I ended up in the afternoon inspection. Many of us, including me, were in borrowed uniforms. The personnel of M Div had a combined inventory of the new dress uniforms for roughly half its members. About half the uniforms in the morning inspection belonged to guys in the afternoon inspection and vise versa. Actually, the morning inspection was somewhat larger than the afternoon inspection so pickings were better in the afternoon. I used to hit the gym pretty hard back in those days and as such I was pretty hard to fit. I had to mix and match to piece together a uniform. I think that when I went to the inspection I wore uniform items from four different shipmates. The only items of clothing on my body that were personally mine were my socks and briefs.

After Cdr Paulson inspects us, he gives a little speech. He says that he's proud of this group as in general the uniforms of this inspection were better than the ones in the morning. Some dumb f**king non rate in the back of the formation almost ruins it for us all by blurting out, "How can that be? They're the same ones!" Fortunately for all involved the Commander let it go. (In retrospect I think he probably knew the score and was just pulling our chains.)

Willy and I got off the E in Subic in late June '78. Naturally, I still didn't own a new style uniform and one was required for the stateside flight from Clark AFB. I was forced to scavenge through the seabag locker to scrape together a very ill fitting uniform. Our flight home in the C-141 was a long, uncomfortable ass sucker made all the worse by that ill fitting uniform. The piece-o-shit plane even broke down in Guam. We must have spent 3 hours on the tarmac without air conditioning while the flyboys repaired the aircraft.

I'm glad to see that sometime in the 80s the Navy sobered up and went back to the traditional uniform.



Randy Jestice Gets New Email Addy:


Today's Navy Uniform Update ...


Checked out your web site recently and saw your comments on "today's Navy" from your trip to San Diego. I thought I'd add a little...

- Did you know that there is a CNO initiative called Task Force Uniform that has been working to replace the current Navy working uniforms? A number of units throughout the fleet as well as some shore activities have been wear-testing some alternate designs of proposed uniforms for the past year, including the uniforms in the attached photos. They include camouflage working uniforms with woodland pattern (uniform1.jpg) and with digital pattern (uniform2.jpg), and some khaki for E-6 and below. One of the khaki versions has a sewn-on rate badge (uniform3.jpg) and another variation uses metal collar devices (uniform4.jpg). Just another way that the Navy we knew back in the 80's is changing.

- Don't know if you noticed this in San Diego, but the current Navy working blue uniform (the Johnny Cash uniform) for enlisted and officers has an optional Navy blue (i.e. black) garrison cap these days.

- Remember how we used to throw on coveralls whenever we were doing dirty work? Nowadays, there are Navy regulation coveralls which are considered an actual uniform rather than something you put on over your dungaree uniform when you're painting or cleaning. I spent a week on an Aegis destroyer earlier this year and the Navy coveralls was pretty much the standard uniform underway, at least on that ship. No dungarees anywhere in sight. I don't recall seeing any white hats either.

- Finally, an admin message came out in the last year that amended the uniform regs so that sailors can now officially wear backpacks in uniform, but only over the left shoulder. When we were in the Navy back in the 80's, you weren't supposed to carry bags over your shoulders or on your back (except for a seabag of course). Recently, I did some reserve duty at NAVSEA Headquarters in D.C. Everyone was still carrying backpacks in their hands. Old habits die hard I guess.

Mike Lontoc


KP Note: Wow, khakis for all? Sounds like the navy is trying to outdo the army's stupid idea to make everyone wear a beret to lessen the impact of being inferior.

For that fellow looking for RO names:

I believe that CDR. Berger was the RO late 65, 66, and part of 67. 

Richard Allen, Engineering , May 63 to Oct 65, R-Div


Greetings From a Big E Non-Nuke Brother ....


Although I wasn't a NUC (was a Data Processing Tech), your site is bringing back a lot of memories. I was onboard the Enterprise the same time you were. From 80-83 and again from 85-88. Your stories about the different port visits and life aboard the Big E are hilarious.

Never realized there was an escape hatch that exited into Dental. I worked next door to them in ADP. I do remember there was an entrance to one of the plants between Dental and ADP.


Harry E. Beasor Jr.


Shipmate Looking for Help Joggin' The ol' Memory ....

King Paul:

Is there any information available about specific cruise dates? I am trying to put some dates on my souvenirs and I can’t remember our cruise dates.

After picking up the ship in Norfolk, I was a nuc in 3 plant, steam side from 8/70 until 5/74. We made a couple of West-Pac cruises and spent some time in the Puget Sound shipyard right before I got out but I can’t come up with any actual dates.

Can you help me?


Monte Hyler


Some Very Sad News About Todd Gugluizza

Hi my name is MM1 Jodi Smelser I was a nuke on the Nimitz. I am currently stationed at SWRMC (formally known as SIMA San Diego). EM1 Todd A. Gugluizza passed away 10/23/05. I know he was on the Enterprise before he came to SIMA and I saw his name on your site a few times. Someone found him in his apartment dead. The command said his cause of death was unknown.




KP Note: Thank you for your email Jodi.  Like many on this site I am saddened by this news and will keep his family and friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Alyssa Nguyen Comes Aboard ....

Boldly going where thousands have gone before...

I happened across your list through a link on Wikipedia. Feel free to add me if you wish. I was in RC-22 from 2001 to 2002.

Former ET3 Alyssa Nguyen


KP Note: Hey Alyssa! You're our third female nuke so far.  Hopefully you'll be more 'talkative' then our previous female nukes.  How about sharing some of your experiences with us? Also, be sure to join Critical Thinking.

Where You Were ... And When

Here are some deployment dates for Monte Hyler and anyone else.

I emailed him this as well


Deployment dates: June 11, 1971 - February 12, 1972 ; September 12, 1972 - June 12, 1973 ; September 17, 1974 - May 20, 1975



As most of you know Mark B. is the man when it comes to Big E related info.  Since many of you are probably wondering about your own cruise dates, here, courtesy of Mark,  is the most complete listing of that information anywhere!  Click Here and take a walk down memory lane.  (This table is missing some port calls and operations for cruises.  If you know them send them to me and I'll add it to the table. I've already supplied missing info for my cruises).

Hey, I just want to know one thing.  What the f--k is a tail code?




Time for another quiz.  This one is geared toward our ELT brethren but anyone can answer.  Which part of the plant (outside the RC) had the most zoomies?  For bonus points, which watchstander had the highest average monthly 'exposure'?  




(KP Note 11/9/04: This answer has been 'censored' to avoid revealing potentially confidential material. Not my call but I'll do what is asked of me since I like to avoid trouble:) 

Sweet, that's my kind of question-

Not sure when exactly they did it but the [ducts] under the RC's were covered over with grates and permanently posted as Exclusion Areas. They read pretty high on a Reactor at high powers if you dropped a 27 probe down in one. (Over 10mr)

The hottest RARLL was in [the plant with the longest shaft] - they had the most hotspots and were closest to the RC wall anyway. 4 plant was pretty weak and only had 1 hotspot when I left. But they had a pet crab that was over a year old in the RAR bilge.

The 3 Plant Oopsie has no more influence on the modern prise than signs in the wireways, original pump motors and over some tanks under the bilge warning of contamination that I was never able to find. I tried like a bitch to find some, to no avail.

I managed to find a 140 mr/hr point source on a [certain type of] valve in the bilge but we removed it as soon as we hit the shipyard. If you were in 2RAR and you liked to hang out by the stairs in lower level a lot you were standing right on top of it.

The Resin Discharge line values changed a lot while I was there, since the first shipyard I was in we changed out resin. 3 plant still has a huge clump of lagging over her beauty.

1 Plants Resin line takes the cake though- still hot as hell and still has an intimidating metal box around it. Right around 70 if you hold the probe right. Why the hell the piping in 1RAR remains mostly unlagged baffles me.

We found some neat shielding weaknesses in [a certain MMRLL] has a problem near the oil purifier/ esc trunk. [AMRUL] has a bad one next to the forward bhd, right under a vent duct. [CTG area] had a neutron problem up forward. Had? Has? eh...

The overboard RD air escape piping has a huge coat of lagging around the cutout valve in the parachute riggers shop up on the 2nd deck- underneath it used to read over 10 mr but probably calmed down a bit since then. Follow the pipe up a ways and it randomly jumps outboard the ship before sneaking back into RC exhaust. It's weird finding radioactive piping on a sponson...

The hottest areas outside the RC's though were probably the tanks and voids surrounding the ODT's, though but I never the chance to check the numbers on those. Immediately adjacent to the ODT's in the plants wasn't very hot at all, but you can bet your ass all the [heat resistant coating] in the world won't keep that crud from coating up on the bottom. I do know MMC S___van had told me he got about 270 mr in one day from doing ODT level inspections. We don't send people into the ODT's no more. Shipyard dropped a trillion dollar camera in one trying to avoid personnel exposure this past shipyard.

Unfortunately they reintroduced the crappy digital random number generators so AN/PDR 27's only exist in the civilian world anymore. God it's nice to be one of those civilians!

-M Brock__n, former Tanks and Voids PO


Cruise Data:

KP, I have some port calls that were missing from the table. During the 96 cruise, we stopped in: Palma, Spain; Souda Bay, Crete (1 day); Haifa, Israel ; Rhodes, Greece; Bahrain; Jebel Ali, UAE; Naples, Italy

During the 03 cruise we stopped in: Jebel Ali, UAE;  Naples, Italy;  Cartagena, Spain

I hope this helps.

MM1(SW/AW) Tim O'Grady


KP Note: Thanks Tim, I'll add it to the chart.  The '03 sounds like one hell of a cruise (I'm grinning as I say that;) 

NEW Quiz:

I don't know the answer to this but was curious.  This one is for someone currently serving on (or just discharged from) the Big E. 

Which RX has the highest EFPH?   

Zoomies Galore


Seeing you latest quiz on hotspots on the Pig reminded me of the 90-95 refuel and overhaul in Newport News. I along with several other shipmates had the pleasure of being 'Pipe Bangers' for the resin discharges. I really don't remember much about the actual dose but I do remember that all that were involved were placed on the Alert list and had our TLD's read daily for the duration. I thought this was pretty bad until I went to work as a civilian at a BWR and found out that the higher ups did not think you were doing proper Turbine Building rounds unless you picked up 25mr a day. I surpassed my entire Navy exposure in the first month while there! They had these ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) signs hanging everywhere for dose control and I was told by a Health Physics technician that was all for looks. Must have been the same thing as the human performance STAR (stop, think, act, review) posters. We have a few choice pneumonics for that as well such as 'Start Typing Another Resume' or 'Shit That Ain't Right'.

Rich Wallen

KP Note: Like most RTsians in the 'void' in 1986, I was assigned to the S/G team.  When it was over I had to be placed on the limit list.  I forget how many zoomies I got but I never came close to it again.  Somewhere I still have my official letter from the navy stating my total exposure.  I would guess 75% of it came from that S/G job.

Another IB Brother:

KP I have spent the last 3 weeks reading the sea stories on your great site. I was onboard the USS Eisenhower from 96-2001.

I must say that it seems that port visits years ago must of been a lot better than they were when I was there. Did shore patrol ever "blockade" off limits places for you guys. They did for us!!! My trips were about as close to AAAARRRGGGHH's and Steamer's as one could get in our day. There were many tales told of the Enterprise on the IKE, I hope you our your shipmates can clear some of these urban myths up for us IKE sailors. (I am not stupid so no I do not believe all of these things). 

1. Because the Enterprise had 8 reactors it could go so fast that planes would lift off the flight deck and float away. 

2. Because the Enterprise had 8 reactors it could go so fast that the hull would rip right off of it. 

3. The Reactors on the Enterprise were miniature compared to the Ikes so they could get 8 onboard. 

Also it seems that morale for the most part was better on the Big E.

Thank You for the cheap entertainment and the great stories. And to AArrgghh, steamer, hippo, and those like them, you are my heroes.

MM2 Brandon M Dupler

KP Note: Hello Brandon, great to hear from you.  I'm already in trouble with the 'censors' this week so I'll go ahead and spill the beans about other top secret stuff.  Yes, the planes could 'just lift off.'  Sometimes they'd have to use their afterburners while landing just to keep up with us:) Only once did the hull actually "tear off" but that wasn't so much because of speed as a big rock near San Diego. Our RXs were small compared to the Big Gals on the Ike.  I think they were designed to fit inside the 4 engine room/separate shaft ER set up of the Forestall class carrier.  They basically wanted similar output as the boilers they were replacing, thus the comparatively low power rating per unit. The MW rating of the RXs can be found in any Jane's Ship guide so it's not classified.  It's listed on this site somewhere (I forget it off the top of my head).   

As to whether SP ever "blockaded" off limits areas for us old timers, no.  In fact, if a place were deemed off limits we usually went there first, knowing it would be where all the action was.  The only "off limits" place I went to and was sorry I did was a place called "the gut" in Naples, Italy.  I forget what happened there but many squids were rolled and/or had sex with things that a sober man wouldn't dream of under normal conditions.  I do, however, recall walking past two toothless old ladies in the gut that offered some sort of sexual thing for an extremely low price (as they lifted their skirts over their head to show their hairy wares).  I was shocked and quickly averted my eyes.  On the way back I saw them still sitting there.  I guess even the most-drunk of the fleet wasn't up for anything they were offering.      


And for your new quiz- I win again!!!

Guess who drew the picture for the cake? Man I feel real special lately... (this picture was taken either at the end of last med or during the gay-ass summer cruise right after. 3A/B were the first to surpass 10K and they just recently got out of the SY so I don't suppose much has changed since then).

OG ran down a super list of our port calls... Maybe even more laughable is the 4 or 5 in parentheses that belongs next to Jebel Ali... Which is sadly the best damn port I've ever seen... Seriously.

KP Note: I never would have guessed 3A/B being the ones, as they were usually confined to lower flow rates during the 80s.  I would have thought 4A & B would be the highest but I guess I'm wrong.  Can one of you old timer ROs tell me, what was the average EFPH over an average 6-month deployment? Just curious.  

Relief in the Bilge (of a different kind) ....

I was SRW in 2 Plant one day when the ship was in port. It was 2 am or so and the only people in the plant were the SRW, SRO and I think the RMO (RAO or whatever he was called....don't remember). Anyway, RPFW was being cooled by the RPSW augmenter. The augmenter in 2 Plant was a touchy valve and would fluctuate every time someone flushes the toilet or another fire pump was lit off. The augmenter wasn't working right, so the SRW would adjust the pressure to get it back in spec. I tweaked the screw on the top and brought it back to spec, but the relief off the augmenter lifted. I tweaked it again, but I had to mechanically manipulate the relief for it to reseat.

All was well and I left the RAR. The next hour I came back to the RAR to take logs and the entire bilge up to the deck plates was full of seawater. Ends up the relief lifted again and was filling for the entire hour I was gone.

I panicked, of course. I called DC Central and asked them to light off the eductor for the bilge and pump 2 Plant RAR bilge to the Centerline bilge. They did it but I never called EOS to tell them about what happened.

A few hours later, the Shut Down Watch Officer (I think that's what he was called) took a tour of the plant. By this time, the bilge was pumped but there was standing water (puddles) in the bilge. He asked me why the bilge was all wet. I told him that I poured water mixed with trisodium phosphate in areas of the bilge that was dirty with the intent of scrubbing those areas after I got off watch. He seemed satisfied with that answer and left me alone. EOS never found out that the relief lifted.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



This page is now history.  Click here for the next one


Home | Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7 | Page 8 | Page 9 | Page 10 | Page 11 | Page 12 | Page 13 | Page 14 | Page 15 | Page 16 | Page 17 | Page 18 | Page 19 | Page 20 | Page 21 | Page 22 | Page 23 | Page 24 | Page 25 | Page 26 | Page 27 | Page 28 |Page 29 | Page 30 | Page 31 | Page 32 | Page 33 | Page 34 | Page 35 | Page 36 | Page 37 | Page 38 |Page 39 | Page 40 | Page 41 | Page 42